Re: Jobs submitted under OEM start but do not finish

From: VM <magil_ru_at_yahoo.com>
Date: 4 Jun 2003 11:57:17 -0700

davepashby.google_at_solmanoz.freeserve.co.uk (pashda) wrote in message news:<334c7316.0306040200.3780c261_at_posting.google.com>...
> magil_ru_at_yahoo.com (VM) wrote in message news:<e92668ff.0306032211.22ec253f_at_posting.google.com>...
> > davepashby.google_at_solmanoz.freeserve.co.uk (pashda) wrote in message news:<334c7316.0306030145.4c0ffd91_at_posting.google.com>...
>
> Out of interest, if you dont use OEM to schedule jobs, what would you
> use? Scripts with Windows task scheduler? Or some other schedulign
> tool?
>
> Dave

It depends on your requirements.

There are two requirements that I would put on top of all:

  1. Char based access through telnet/SSH or WEB based (HTML only). I don't want Client/Server GUI-only interface why? Because in production things WILL break at the time most inconvenient for you and the last thing you want to do is finding fast connection to your server to startup that damn GUI tool or a Java applet that is 60 MB size. My tools are sqlplus/vi - they are always there. GUI tools are good for development/data entry but not for mission critical applications that require 24/7 access from anywhere in the world.
  2. JOB failure notification.

I would put up a linux box just for that purpose - you got SSH/Telnet/CRONTAB/shell right out of a box what else do you need? Believe me I am not scared of NT/WIN I ran Oracle APPS on NT in PRODUCTION but the maintenance is so much simpler on UNIX/LINUX systems that I don't even want to look back at NT/WIN.

Regards,
Vitaliy
DBAToolZ.com (free sql scripts + SQLDIR parser) Aspeda.com (free Oracle monitoring tool) Received on Wed Jun 04 2003 - 13:57:17 CDT