Re: Oracle hangs while shutdown immediate

From: Jack <nospam_at_nospam.com>
Date: Wed, 04 Jun 2003 17:24:24 GMT

I used to see Oracle support did the following with success.

svrmgrl>alter system switch logfile;
svrmgrl>alter system switch logfile;
svrmgrl>alter system switch logfile;
svrmgrl>alter system switch logfile;
svrmgrl>alter system switch logfile;
svrmgrl>alter system switch logfile;
svrmgrl>alter system switch logfile;
svrmgrl>alter system switch logfile;
svrmgrl>shutdown immediate;

The following also works for me if there are any jobs running in the background.
1. ps -ef | grep ora

2. Find process ID for snpXXX

3. Find pid from V$process by spid

4. Find 'sid,SERIAL#' from V$session by pid

5. alter system kill session 'sid,SERIAL#'

6. In OS, kill - 9 spid