Need opinions on "Compute Statistics"

From: <aoshell2_at_yahoo.com>
Date: 4 Jun 2003 08:11:31 -0700

I would like to get some opinions on the usage of the ANALYZE STATISTICS command. I am using Oracle 8.1.6 and am doing some data loads for large tables.

Procedure is designed as follows:
- truncate table, drop indexes, insert data, recreate indexes, ANALYZE STATISTICS

  1. If I use a statement like "ANALYZE TABLE A_PRODUCT_DETAILS COMPUTE STATISTICS" is this computing the statistics on the indexes also? If not, do I really need to since I am recreating them just prior to issuing the statement and have done a TRUNCATE which is supposed to RESET indexes?
  2. What is the school of though on ESTIMATING statistics and what percent would be recommended for the fastest execution while retaining some level of accurracy. Largest table is about 2 million rows and is taking about 23 minutes.
  3. Should i be using the DBMS_STATS package instead and if so why?

Thanks for all input - I can read the Oracle manuals but it's nice to get some opinions from those in the field.

Cheers! Received on Wed Jun 04 2003 - 10:11:31 CDT