Re: Data Guard: How to create standby for multifolder database

From: Pete's <empete2000_at_yahoo.com>
Date: 4 Jun 2003 06:28:08 -0700

Yes it is possible and yes you would use db_file_name_convert and log_file_name_convert, here's the basic syntax of the parametes: db_file_name_convert=(d:\oracle\oradata\PRIMARYDB, k:\oracle\oradata\STANDBYDB,

                      e:\oracle\oradata\PRIMARYDB,
l:\oracle\oradata\STANDBYDB,
                      <source>                   , <target>)
You should also put in the coversion for your archive logs as well. log_file_name_convert=(d:\oracle\oradata\PRIMARYDB\log*, k:\oracle\oradata\STANDBYDB\stby_log*)

Look into the documentation regarding these two parameters. There are other settings that you need to setup, for instance, log_archive_dest_1, log_archive_dest_2, fal_server, fal_client, remote_archive_enable, log_archive_dest_state_1 & 2, log_archive_format, standby_archive_dest. For Log_archive_dest_1 & 2, there are specific settings for the type of protection you require, by that I mean, do you want Guaranteed, Instant or Delayed Protection. To answer your last question, yes you can add additional standby db's later. I believe you can have up to 9 standby sites, i.e. check out v$archive_dest on your primary db, there are 10 rows in 9.0.1, the first is the primary site, the remainder are for standby's.

Please read the DataGuard documentation, Oracle does a good job in explaining how to set it up. Also, check out Metalinks for setting it up. There are parameter settings you need to set specific for the Primary DB and the Standby DB. If all else fails in setting it up, it may be helpful to open an iTAR.

HTH,
Pete's