Re: STUCK WITH INTERNAL PASSWORD

From: Oradba Linux <oradba_linux_at_attbi.com>
Date: Wed, 04 Jun 2003 02:07:36 GMT

On Tue, 03 Jun 2003 09:49:18 +0200, Bestja wrote:

> By default in 8.1.x, a new database will use Windows NT Native
> Authentication by having the following already set in the SQLNET.ORA
> file:
>
> SQLNET.AUTHENTICATION_SERVICES = (NTS)
>
> This will allow any privileged user defined in the NT user group
> (named ORA_<sid>_DBA) to login to database without providing a
> password.
>
> To disable this feature and force all users to provide a password,
> simply comment out the above in the SQLNET.ORA file:
>
> #SQLNET.AUTHENTICATION_SERVICES = (NTS)
>

> "Zahid Khan" <zahid_h_khan_at_yahoo.com> wrote in message

>> Dear Friends,
>>
>> I am using Oracle 8.1.7 on Windows 2000 Server.
>>
>> I executed Server Manager (SVRMGRL) and gave the following command:
>>
>> SVRMGR> connect internal
>> connected.
>>
>> It does not ask for password of internal. Although, I have tried to
>> change the password file through ORAPWD. It replaces the password
>> file PWDorcl.ora but even then it does not ask for the password. I
>> think there is some problem with the authentication. Please help me
>> that how can it be forced to authenticate while connecting as
>> Internal. An interesting thing here is that if we connect as any
>> user other than Internal it asks for the password.
>>
>> Please help.
>>
>> Regards,
>> Zahid Khan

If you are using the same account that you used to install oracle software , then "connect internal" will not prompt you for a password . It does OS Authentication like in Unix where a group gets created as ora_dba ( not sure about the name of the group) . Check if the account that you are using belongs to the group .I am not sure that you could delete that group and force asking for a password .

Good Luck ! Received on Tue Jun 03 2003 - 21:07:36 CDT