Re: Oracle hangs while shutdown immediate

From: aspeda.com <support_at_aspeda.com>
Date: 3 Jun 2003 18:48:04 -0700

Anton Dischner <nospam_at_nospam.org> wrote in message news:<030620031512220253%nospam_at_nospam.org>...
> Hi,
>
> every week we do a nightly switch over between our master/slave
> configuration via an automated script.
>
> Sometimes the shutdown immediate hangs for no reason without any
> log-entries.

I had similar issues with few very active databases when taking them for COLD backups every once in a while.

If you identify the session that had some unfinished business BEFORE issuing "shutdown immediate" then you can better understand the problem.

I simply dump state of all sessions (sql, sorts, rbs usage, etc.) into a file then call my "db_down_check 15 &" script in background right before issuing "shutdown immediate". If the database doesn't come down in 15 munites my "db_down_check" sends me a page. I review the "dump state of all sessions" file which typically gives me the offending ['sid,serial#'/SQL/OS-PID/MACHINE/DEV-Phone# ;-)].

Armed with this information you can prevent this from happening next time.

Vitaliy
DBAToolZ.com (free sql scripts + SQLDIR parser) Aspeda.com (free Oracle monitoring tool) Received on Tue Jun 03 2003 - 20:48:04 CDT