Re: Storage: SAN, NAS, or Local

From: Burton Peltier <burttemp1REMOVE_THIS_at_bellsouth.net>
Date: Tue, 3 Jun 2003 19:51:42 -0500

Good suggestion and I agree that what others are doing does NOT alter what our needs are and whether it is right for us. Some people (with more control over our IT shop) seem to be convinced SAN storage is a a good thing for all databases. I am not so convinced, especially because if configured for both databases and non-databases (which I think it is), there might be some problems. Like I said, the article at oaktable.net was definitely useful especially in recommending a "MicroSan" for Oracle databases. Do you agree with this or do you think it is a bad idea?

My question may not have been phrased correctly. I was just mainly wanting to hear from others their experience with using SAN.

I know this isn't a scientifically perfect "poll" by any means. But, hearing what someone or anyone has to say might help it seems, especially if they provide comments on tips to avoid problems. And, of course, I would always try it myself too.

I do look at any suggestions, prove it for myself, and then maybe use it.

Isn't a forum such as this a good place to ask questions like this?

--

"Daniel Morgan" <damorgan_at_exxesolutions.com> wrote in message

> Burton Peltier wrote:
>
> > That article did clear up a couple of things for me.
> >
> > But, I would really like to know if this is one of those things (like
RAC