Slow login after change of server IP address:

From: Daniel Stephens <daniel.stephens_at_manches.co.uk>
Date: 3 Jun 2003 08:50:19 -0700

Problem: After change of IP address on server, login to databases is alot slower than before, when doing so from certain machines.

Server: Oracle 7.4.3.5.0

        Windows NT 4.0 SP 5

We have recently changed the network card and IP address in our server from our token-ring network to ethernet, and consequently the IP address has changed.

This IP address change has been reflected in all/any tnsnames.ora and listener.ora throughout the network(as far as I can tell). The copies on the server have been changed. listener and tnsnames use the IP address rather than the host name.

DNS and WINS are updated with the correct IP address for the server.

When logging in to a database on the server, from the server, (e.g. svrmgr23, or plus33w) it takes ages (possibly a minute). This didn't happen before the IP address change.
There are a few other client machines that take a long time to log in to the database. All other client machines are fine with login speed.

There is one NT 4 server machine that is slow, and one windows 2000 machine that is slow. There is also a windows 2000 machine that is perfectly fine.
All appear to have the same settings.

I cannot think of anywhere else that the IP address could need to be changed .. anyone got any ideas???

Even when trying the wonderful T.O.A.D., I get the same slow login.

I can't think of anything else pertinant, but if any questions please let me know.

Regards

Dan! Received on Tue Jun 03 2003 - 10:50:19 CDT