Re: Where is the trcroute utility?

From: Noons <wizofoz2k_at_yahoo.com.au.nospam>
Date: Tue, 3 Jun 2003 19:13:02 +1000

"Hans Forbrich" <forbrich_at_telusplanet.net> wrote in message news:3EDC0B68.BE36537E_at_telusplanet.net...
> With all due respect (and due apologies for the top post) TRCROUTE **is** an
> Oracle supplied utility that is valid only on UNIX/Linux platforms.
>
> Confirmed by the Oracle Copyright on my Linux and Solaris systems.

I think there is a bit of confusion here, folks.

In both Unix and Windows, there are two standard TCP/IP utilities called "ping" and "traceroute". IIRC, Windows and Unix spell the latter slightly different, but it's still the same utility.

Now, Oracle includes in Net8 two equivalents of these. To be used to find out if TNSNAMES, ONAMES et all are properly configured. Without having to have database instances responding at each end. All these utilities do is talk between client and listener process.

These utilities are known respectively as TNSPING and TRCROUTE (or their equivalent lower case in Unix).

The first basically locates a listener and makes sure it is responding. The other is more useful in a multiple node Oracle Names environment, with Connection Manager and such: it traces the path that a TNS packet follows until it hits the target listener. Recall that CMAN may re-direct TNS connections.

Personally, I think Oracle should have called the latter TNSTRACE or something like that to avoid confusion with the Unix/Windows tracert/traceroute. Unfortunately, they chose not to. Oh well...

Bottom line: install Net8 and all CMAN and ONAMES options and you'll get tnsping and trcroute as well.

Otherwise you'll only have the OS equivalents, provided your network is TCP/IP (which one isn't, nowadays?).

--
Cheers
Nuno Souto