Re: Oracle Tuning Tools

From: aspeda.com <support_at_aspeda.com>
Date: 2 Jun 2003 23:19:08 -0700

"Oradba Linux" <oradba_linux_at_attbi.com> wrote in message news:<pan.2003.05.27.16.52.32.359269_at_attbi.com>...
> I am looking to evaluate oracle tuning tools ( not an administration tool) from third party companies
> or OEM . I am sure lot of people have lot of experience with tools from different companies . Our company
> has databases that are mostly 8i ( 8.1.7.2 - 8.1.7.4) . Most of them are OLTP and we have some
> dw databases in terms of Terabytes .
> Any positive/negative feedback of tools would help .
>
> TIA
If you refer to SQL tuning ...

Then the following are pretty good tools (sorted by "most used" IMHO): TOAD / sql*plus autotrace
tkprof
OEM's "SQL Analyze"

As a DBA I prefer tkprof (tracing a session), developers tend to like TOAD/sql*plus autotrace since you can get a quick explain plan right then when you write a query. Then you get into tools that can analyze the output and suggest a "solution" (OEM's "SQL Analyze") there are others from 3'rd party companies.

The key here is to know your environment, study your database trends to be able to identify problem areas over a period of time. Once a problem is identified it's so much easier to find a solution. That's why I think MONITORING and DIAGNOSTIC tools need to be used in conjunction with tuning tools.

Vitaliy
DBAToolZ.com (free sql scripts + SQLDIR parser) Aspeda.com (free Oracle monitoring tool) Received on Tue Jun 03 2003 - 01:19:08 CDT