Oracle 9i2 RAC on Linux - some basic questions

From: Mark van Duren <mark_at_no-span.iptower.nl>
Date: Mon, 2 Jun 2003 23:43:28 +0200

Hi,

I am wondering what I would need to install an oracle 9i2 ha-setup under linux for my company.

The hardware setup will consists of a Dell PowerVault 220 storage unit (with 4x 36GB 15K RPM disks in a RAID 5 setup - i don't know if this will be sufficent?) and two Dell PowerEdge 1750 servers (with 2x 36GB 10K RPM disks, an Intel Xeon processor and 1GB RAM). So the config will be a SCSI-cluster instead of an Fibre-channel (we don't have enough money to pay for this kind of "luxury").

Is it possible to install an oracle 9i2 ha-setup under linux (slackware 9) with this hardware? Which basic things do I have to keep in mind, like, which file system(s) do I have to use? Which problems can I expect to run into? Any information is welcome, if you have a working example, please inform me!

A second point of concern is, when do I have to pay for a license? It is not very clear to me because of all the different information you can find on the internet. For instance, do I only have to pay when I want service or support from Oracle? Or do I also have to pay if I use the Oracle 9i2 RAC software (enterprise edition) in an commercial environment (my business)?

Thanks in advance! Regards,

Mark van Duren

PS: hopefully I am posting in the right newsgroup - if not so, please inform me for a better place! Received on Mon Jun 02 2003 - 16:43:28 CDT