ORA-00607

From: Billy Verreynne <vslabs_at_onwe.co.za>
Date: Mon, 02 Jun 2003 09:38:33 +0000

00607, 00000, "Internal error occurred while making a change to a data block"
// *Cause: An internal error or memory exception occurred while Oracle was
// applying redo to a data block.
// *Action: call Oracle Support

Got this one this weekend (Sa midnight of all times <sigh>).

Table has 84 million rows. 4 of the 5 indexes in place. All showed as valid in the dictionary. Tried creating the 5th index and ran into this 607 error. Thought it was maybe because of the index being compressed and created using PQ. Made some changes, but the error re-occurred.

A validate structure on the table terminated almost immediately complaining about an existing index (did not point to a particular one in the trace - simply said "row not found in index tsn: 10 rdba: 0x040a9030").

I dropped all the indexes and rebuild. That seemed to have worked. No errors thus far. Touch wood.

Any comments about this particular error? Should the re-index build be enough to fix this problem? Does it point to a possible disk problem (does not seem so to me, but the Unix sysadmin did do a major physical re-org of the volume sets to optimise striping, just prior).

--
Billy