Re: Howard ! - how about the word RESPECT ?

From: Ronald Rood <devnull_at_ronr.nl>
Date: Mon, 2 Jun 2003 18:00:03 +0200

On Fri, 30 May 2003 15:57:17 +0200, Norman Dunbar wrote (in message
<E2F6A70FE45242488C865C3BC1245DA703BABC9A_at_lnewton.leeds.lfs.co.uk>):

> Howard,
>
> I don't know if you'll see/reply to this but here goes anyway.
>

>>> But it's precisely this sort of "inconsistency" that persuades me

> it's a
>>> waste of time posting here. So I won't be doing so in future.

> This seems a bit harsh. Surely if info is misleading (and I'm sure I've
> posted some) then it should be pointed out as such and corrected. If
> people who *know* stop posting corrections to misleading info from
> people who *don't quite know* then the list will eventually degenerate
> into a pile of poo with crap information all over the place.
>

>>> If that means you don't feel you've been spoken to severely in

> future, then I guess that's some kind of bonus.
>
> One of my first posts here was along the lines of "don't shutdown abort
> before a backup" and I was corrected (strongly) by a gentleman called
> Howard J Rogers. There was I a newbie just off a DBA course on Backup &
> Recovery having just been told never do a backup after a shutdown abort
> and you corrected me with full examples and proof of why the info I had
> been given was crap. How will we learn if we don't learn by our
> mistakes.
>

>>> Cheerio, group: last post!

> Let's hope not.

I agree with that 'hope not'. There used to be a time where we could post questions and comments. There can be good and less good answers, just like in everydays normal life.

Maybe it's time to remember something from the netiquette - having respect for each other ?

I think that every poster is doing what he/she thinks is right. We could have a discussion about that but it should never be insulting/flaming. I did not follow the complete discussion and I am not going to choose sides in this but I hope the friendly atmosphere will - hopefully soon - return.

just my 2 euro-cents,

--
With kind regards,
Ronald