Re: Q: Moving data to partition tables

From: W.Breitling <member28455_at_dbforums.com>
Date: Mon, 02 Jun 2003 14:51:23 +0000

I found the the following worked best:

Create a table with the desired partitioning but ONLY ONE partition "AS SELECT * FROM ... WHERE 0=1" Then exchange the single partition with your original table. That is very fast since only dictionary manipulation is involved. Now you have an empty unpartitioned table and all you data in a partitioned table with one partition. You can also bring the indexes over with the exchange. I have no first hand experience with that. I always wanted to change the index definitions anyways - some local, some global.

drop the unpartitioned table and rename the partitioned table to the original name.

Create the indexes if you did not bring them over with the exchange.

Split the single partition into the partitions you need. Non-local indexes will need to be rebuilt after the splits.