Real Application Cluster (RAC) - Access Transperency

From: Robert Heinzmann <Robert.Heinzmann_at_gmx.net>
Date: Sat, 31 May 2003 23:55:06 +0200

Hello,

How transparent is access to a Oracle RAC server group, or so called Cluster ?

AFAIK (reading the quite bad documentation) the clients have to know that the Oracle server they connect to is a Oracle RAC server and that there is a failover node (or more). This configuration is done via the tnsnames.ora file. What about clients except sqlplus ? they dont use tnsnames.ora, or do they ? Now do such use the strengthened ability of the RAC cluster?

Is this true or am I getting something wrong here ?

In traditional HA cluster environments (failover) the access transperency is made via a switchable IP address.

Am I right that that feature is still helpful to normal clients, not knowing anything of RAC ?

Thanks,

Robert Heinzmann Received on Sat May 31 2003 - 16:55:06 CDT