Re: imp and target tablespace

From: Holger Baer <holger.baer_at_science-computing.de>
Date: Sat, 31 May 2003 14:16:14 +0200

Cris Otto Partz wrote:
> A guy from an external company came here this morning to install the new
> version of their software. He asked me to create a new user and a new
> tablespace for the new app version and I did it. Then he asked me to
> load a dump file containings all the app database objects. I did it but
> I noticed that all objects were created in the tablespace USERS. I asked
> him if he had an object creation script instead of a dump file and he
> said no. So I had to extract the object creation script using imp,
> replace all occourences of tablespace "USERS" with the name of the brand
> new app tablespace and run the script vith SQL*Plus (there were no
> meaningful data in the dump file; he just needed the empty objects).
>
> I was a very awful job, so I'm wondering if there is an easier way to
> force imp to import objects in a different tablespace than the one
> buried into the dump file. In my case, the preferred target tablespace
> was also the user's default tablespace.

You did it probably to yourself ;-)

If the new created user hadn't had quota on users, all imported stuff would've gone into the default tablespace.

Now ask yourself:

- Did you assign a default tablespace to the new user?
- What roles did you grant (my guess is resource, btw)?
- Did you import with full=y or with the fromuser / touser option?

Since you've allready done everything, I can't help you, but I'd recommend you do some reading on exp / imp as soon as you find the time.

Holger Received on Sat May 31 2003 - 07:16:14 CDT