Re: Why shouldn't I run an Oracle database on a PDC?

From: Sybrand Bakker <gooiditweg_at_sybrandb.demon.nl>
Date: Fri, 30 May 2003 19:51:07 +0200

On 30 May 2003 08:32:56 -0700, seanb_at_lonelyplanet.com (Sean Brandt) wrote:

>My boss has requested I make this new server the PDC of our domain, in
>addition to running DNS,DHCP and WINS.

So he is requesting you to turn this brand new system into a disaster system right from the start. If he is persistent in his idea I recommend you to find a different job asap.

A PDC synchronizes it's account database, the SAM, with any BDC in the network, every 15 minutes.
If you are running DCHP, DNS and WINS on this system as well there will be a distinct amount of tcp/ip and netbeui traffic, even if you didn't start Oracle at all. In short: various services, Oracle being one of them, will be competing for resources. Need I say more?

Sybrand Bakker, Senior Oracle DBA

To reply remove -verwijderdit from my e-mail address Received on Fri May 30 2003 - 12:51:07 CDT