Re: Visual C++ and Oracle - increase speed and preformance?

From: Billy Verreynne <vslabs_at_onwe.co.za>
Date: Fri, 30 May 2003 08:39:47 +0000

[cross posting groups removed]

Nicke Verenius wrote:
> I want to transfer data between a realtime-database and an Oracle
> database.
>
> I will use Visual C++ but how should I do to get high preformance.

Performance in this regard has everything to do with HOW you use Oracle.

How many updates or inserts per second? How many indexes are there on the table? If there are triggers, how complex are they? How many constraints and forgeign keys? How does the physical structure of the table loook? Does PCTFREE ensures that there's sufficient space ber block for updating the rows in that block?

All these are an indication of the overheads that Oracle needs to perform on every single row inserted or updated.

> I loop through a recordset:
>
> recordset (select ntagid from tags); // about 3000 rows.
> currval = get_realtimedata(ntagid); // This comes from a realtime
> database, not Oracle
> update tags set nscurrent = currval where ntagid = recordset(ntagid);
> recordsetMoveNext;
> loop;

Where is the transaction? 3000 updates and then a commit? Or a commit with each update?

> How should I increase preformance?? Should I use ODBC??

Why would ODBC make a difference? I think that you are missing some fundemental understanding here about how Oracle works and how to address Oracle performance.

If anything, ODBC is likely to slow things down as you will be dealing with another layer between the application and the database. Ideally you want to use OCI (the Oracle Call Interface) directly as the communications method to Oracle. Why insert another layer in between by calling ODBC DLLs?

--
Billy