Re: Worst of the worst

From: Joel Garry <joel-garry_at_home.com>
Date: 29 May 2003 17:47:34 -0700

"Niall Litchfield" <niall.litchfield_at_dial.pipex.com> wrote in message news:<3ed52d6b$0$10622$cc9e4d1f_at_news.dial.pipex.com>...
> "Mark Townsend" <markbtownsend_at_attbi.com> wrote in message
> > Daniel Morgan wrote:
> >

> > > Ok you lurkers from Oracle ... here's your chance to do a public service
> > > ... find whoever managed to do this
> > > and explain to them the concept of why documentation is posted.
> > > Obviously the concept was completely lost
> > > on several people.
> > >

> > FYI (in case you missed it). Every doc has a feedback link -
> >
> http://download-west.oracle.com/docs/cd/B10501_01/dcommon/html/feedback.htm
> >
> > I know the doc writers do read and act on feedback.
>
> The feedback link isn't exactly obvious :( but I do have a good news story.
>
> Consider
>
> http://download-west.oracle.com/docs/cd/B10501_01/win.920/a95491/specs.htm#1006174
>
> which says if I have a 2k block size I can have no more than 121 extents *in
> my database*., not my segment, nor my datafile, nor my tablespace but my
> *database* This far outweighs a typo IMO. So I logged a TAR and (after a bit
> of ' "this is how unlimited extents works" "no, my point is the limits given
> are just daft and meaningless" ') a phone conversation with the docs guys a
> doc bug was logged. Net result 'fixed in next release' - and yes I will
> check. I made a point of going through the iTar route and it works, and so
> far as I can tell the docs guys listen.

The SQL*plus manual used to have an incorrect listing of operator precedence (at least as late as 7.3.2). I'm too lazy to see if they ever fixed it. Some programmers looked at me with wonder when I would tell them to put parens around certain arithmetic expressions and it would fix their code.

But my favorite is still the Oracle on SunOS(BSD) install guide with the SysV installation instructions. Oopsie! Cut'n'Paste is so productive!

jg

--
@home.com is bogus.