ORA-01102 - Cannot Mount DB in EXCLUSIVE mode.

From: dbuckingham <member8912_at_dbforums.com>
Date: Thu, 29 May 2003 22:29:05 +0000

Hi All,

At times when I try and restart a database in our shared environment, it will come up with:

ORA-01102: Cannot mount database in EXCLUSIVE mode.

I am not sure why this is happening? whenever I restart an instance I do the following steps:

1.set oracle_sid=sidname
2. svrmgrl
3. connect internal/oracle
4. shutdown immediate (or abort)
5. startup pfile=path and filename e.g. h:\TOOMS82\pfle\initooms82.ora

I would have to say that 90% of the time it works successfully. However for some reason at times it gives the above error. I have tried to restart the instance many times when this happens and the same error always appears. The only way that I have found that I can stop the problem is by rebooting the server. As you can imagine, in a shared environment this is less than desirable.

I have done some reading on this and found that it relates to trying to mount memory that is already assigned to an instance, as a result that would explain why the reboot fixes the issue.

I also found a post online for someone who had the same issue with 8.1.5 on Solaris. In that post they indicated that it had to with there being a:
ORACLE_HOME/dbs/lk<sid>
being assigned to the instance that was shutdown. This should be cleared out on shutdown but for some reason was not.

I have tried to relate this to a windows environment but have been unsuccessful. We are running in a Windows 2000 environment with Oracle 8.1.7v3.

Can anyone shed any light on this one for me?

Thanks

Dan.