Re: Transaction Gradually Slows to a crawl! (please help)

From: Ryan Gaffuri <rgaffuri_at_cox.net>
Date: 29 May 2003 12:59:25 -0700

Sybrand Bakker <gooiditweg_at_sybrandb.demon.nl> wrote in message news:<pdf8dv0tnk92h7su850a04ij2stmugknh0_at_4ax.com>...
> On Wed, 28 May 2003 02:16:44 GMT, "Ryan" <rgaffuri_at_cox.net> wrote:
>
> >how do you disable redo logs? you can generate no redo? really? i have a
> >staging database also.
>

> Yes, you can. But the redo log mechanism still will be called, it only
> won't write. And of course: you render your database in an UNSUPPORTED
> state.
> Such act is only for the brave/stupid (cross all that apply), and is
> usually considered only by people who don't want cures but just
> figthing symptoms.
>

> Sybrand Bakker, Senior Oracle DBA

ok, but do you get a performance improvement? I have a staging database that does NOT need to be recoverable at all. Why? We transport our tablespaces nightly and keep backups of them that way. I dont care if the database goes down. I dont care about lost data. It doesnt matter. All my deltas are in flat files. I can just re-run the load.

how fast is this? Speed is my #1 and only concern. Received on Thu May 29 2003 - 14:59:25 CDT