Re: suspicious standard Oracle Linux start/stop script

From: Tanel Poder <tanel_at_@peldik.com>
Date: Thu, 29 May 2003 21:47:29 +0300

> If I'm worried about SHUTDOWN IMMEDIATE hanging, then my script does a
> SHUTDOWN ABORT, followed by a STARTUP RESTRICT, and then a SHUTDOWN
> IMMEDIATE. No problems...

Do you have an example of that script?
What I'm saying (and you can't argue it) - you can't predict everything.

And if something unpredicted happens, such sqlplus can't be started for some odd reason (someone has changed env for example), what will your script do then? Terminate, to allow shutdown to proceed? Or just hang there?

Do whatever you want at home or in your test environment, but in production you should have so rare reboots anyway, that you can afford doing that one extra step to manually shut down db *and deal with any unexpected conditions*.

A lot of people (including me) won't put db start up scripts to init.d, because in case of crash for example *you* want to be in control, not some script which is designed only for certain circumstances.

Tanel.