Re: Oracle Tuning Tools

From: Hans Forbrich <forbrich_at_telusplanet.net>
Date: Thu, 29 May 2003 15:14:23 GMT

Ryan wrote:

> "Oradba Linux" <oradba_linux_at_attbi.com> wrote in message
> > I am looking to evaluate oracle tuning tools ( not an administration
> > tool) from third party companies or OEM . I am sure lot of people have
> > lot of experience with tools from different companies . Our company
> > has databases that are mostly 8i ( 8.1.7.2 - 8.1.7.4) . Most of them
> > are OLTP and we have some dw databases in terms of Terabytes . Any
> > positive/negative feedback of tools would help .
> >
> > TIA
>
> OEM isnt a tuning tool, its a monitoring tool. I dont know of any good
> tuning tools. Which ones are you looking at? Embarcadero is a piece of
> garbage.

Sorry chap, but you are wrong here about OEM.

OEM is a framework for running applets. The primary applets that come with OEM are related to monitoring, administration, job scheduling and notification. (Note: using term applet in the original, not Java, sense.)

Oracle does have additional applet sets for sale (extra cost) These are well described on their OTN site. They include

One interesting thing is that the OEM 9i & it's packs can be used to handle all supported database versions.

The Tuning Pack is a decent tool that is worthy of evaluation. I happen to like it. (You can expect many responses discussing the bad experiences - usually related to OEM verion 1 or 2 and how the respondant has made up their mind and will not bother re-evaluating.) Received on Thu May 29 2003 - 10:14:23 CDT