Re: "Replication" of LONG RAW

From: Hans Forbrich <forbrich_at_telusplanet.net>
Date: Thu, 29 May 2003 14:42:37 GMT

Lucyna Witkowska wrote:

> Hi,
> Oracle 8.1.7
> I know LONG and LONG RAW are dreadfull ;-), but I cannot change them
> (not my database).
> So my question is: how manage my own replication of
> LONG and LONG RAW types (much bigger than 32K, so no PL/SQL)?
> Is it possible to use in some way Oracle mechanisms of replication
> (for example snaphot logs)?
>
> Greetings,
> LW

I suspect this shortcoming is one of the reasons why Long was deprecated. SOme thoughts that might trigger a suitable direction ...

You may need to consider either a custom C program (which is not that difficult to write & there are samples on OTN if you search) or some controlled EXP/IMP variant.

I've also heard people copy the data from a Long to a LOB in the local database and use standard mechanisms to transport. The original copy is a pain & if you are truly trying to replicate rather than just move the data to another database for other purposes you will end up with the added pain of merging back from the LOB to the LONG.

/Hans Received on Thu May 29 2003 - 09:42:37 CDT