Re: shutdown database(s) from root user

From: Brian Peasland <oracle_dba_at_remove_spam.peasland.com>
Date: Thu, 29 May 2003 14:29:28 GMT

Why don't you have dbshut being performed in /etc/rc2.d, or where appropriate? This way, when the server receives a shutdown command from anywhere, it will shutdown your databases first.

HTH,
Brian

Jim Day wrote:

> I'm running Oracle 8.1.7 on Solaris 8.
>
> I have a UPS vendor supplied script that can be used to shutdown the
> system. This script can be customized, but currently it is setup to
> just send a message to everyone and then perform an "/etc/shutdown". I
> want to shutdown my databases before it starts the OS shutdown, but
> the daemon that is watching to see if it gets a message from the UPS
> is running under root. My database is normally shutdown using scripts
> I wrote running from the oracle user. This database shutdown script
> just runs like this:
>
> sqlplus internal <<EOF
> shutdown immediate
> exit
> EOF
>
> Since I normally run these from the oracle user, this script does not
> prompt me for a password when it uses the user internal. But, since
> this UPS shutdown script is executed from the daemon running under
> root, these database shutdown scripts don't work. I've tried to su to
> oracle but that doesn't work either (prompts me for a password).
>
> I must be missing something "obvious" here, but can't seem to get this
> to work. Does anyone know how I can run sqlplus from root, login with
> a username and then run the -shutdown immediate- command to shutdown
> my database?
>
> Thank-you for your help.
>
> Jim Day
> jday_at_fslso.com

Brian Peasland
oracle_dba_at_remove_spam.peasland.com

Remove the "remove_spam" from the email address to email me.

 the three"