Re: oracle trace file

From: <Kenneth>
Date: Thu, 29 May 2003 14:23:24 GMT

On 29 May 2003 00:01:06 -0700, dmx_frank_at_yahoo.com (Frank Y) wrote:

>Hi All
>
>In the follow data which extracted from a trace file:
>Rows Execution Plan
>------- ---------------------------------------------------
> 0 SELECT STATEMENT GOAL: CHOOSE
> 31 SORT (GROUP BY)
> 439211 VIEW
> 439211 SORT (GROUP BY)
> 904087 TABLE ACCESS GOAL: ANALYZED (BY INDEX ROWID) OF
> 'TTT'
>1082389 INDEX (RANGE SCAN) OF 'IND_TTT_02' (NON-UNIQUE)
>
>********************************************************************************
>
>There is a line: 904087 TABLE ACCESS GOAL: ANALYZED (BY INDEX
>ROWID) OF 'TTT'
>
>What does it mean?
>Can it be eleminated by manually execute "ANALYZE TABLE VEH_CROSS_ENC
>COMPUTE STATISTICS"? If yes, how often should I execute such
>analyzation?
>
>Frank.

Hi Frank,

The "analyze" in the trace file has nothing to do with the "ANALYZE TABLE" command.

You only need to analyze your table when it has undergone a major change, i.e. reorganised, changed distribution of column values, change in row count etc.

BTW : "Analyze table..." is depreceated, use the built-in package DBMS_STATS instead (8i and above).

Please post the SQL for your execution plan. AND version and platform...