Re: Slow Commit

From: Daniel Morgan <damorgan_at_exxesolutions.com>
Date: Thu, 29 May 2003 07:13:08 -0700

Mark D Powell wrote:

> Daniel Morgan <damorgan_at_exxesolutions.com> wrote in message news:<3ED573DC.B3B8234_at_exxesolutions.com>...
> > Just received a copy of a profile created with DBMS_PROFILER from a new
> > Oracle application one of my students built at his place of business
> > using 8.1.7.4 EE on a 2 CPU Alpha.
> >
> > Of interest ... of the lines taking more than 1% of the total time for
> > each run is the following:
> >
> > COMMIT;
> >
> > recorded as 3.5697 seconds. And this is on a system with no more than a
> > few hundred users and what I would consider a low-to-moderate
> > transaction rate.
> >
> > Other than log file switches and checking for waits any suggestions with
> > respect to where to continue the search will be appreciated.
> >
> > Thanks.
>
> Daniel, has the student verified that the disk being used for the redo
> logs is not the problem due to contention or perhaps depending on the
> disk farm setup it being an older (and less capable) device,
> non-cached etc...?
>
> Just an idea, -- Mark D Powell --

Thanks all. I will pass on your suggestions.

I've not seen the source code and wondered about some of your questions. Much of what I know is based on assumptions that they do as they are taught such as no incremental commits, etc. If I find out more about this I'll pass it along.

Thanks again.

--
Daniel Morgan
damorgan_at_x.washington.edu