Re: query performance -- revised!

From: Ryan Gaffuri <rgaffuri_at_cox.net>
Date: 29 May 2003 04:06:52 -0700

I have no diea where this stuff with select 1 from dual comes from. I have never seen that.

however moving code to sub-queries and deciding to use an exists clause works well and is documented on asktom and in harrisons sql tuning book. It has worked for me before.

most of the improvements I have seen with the CBO is by considering the relative table sizes and how many rows you will return. There are several approaches that are better or worse depending on that.

Since his 'OR' is probably what is killing him. spinning it to a sub-query may help.