how to find instances on server ??

From: Norman Dunbar <Norman.Dunbar_at_lfs.co.uk>
Date: Thu, 29 May 2003 09:37:55 +0100

Morning Paul,

IDMS eh, lovely hierarchical database that one. They did have a 'relational' version for a while (IDMS(R)) but it wasn't a proper relational.

IDMS(X) was my first ever database, well, after the one I wrote in ZX Basic on a 1 KB (yes KB) Sinclair ZX-81 to catalogue my record collection, running on ICL mainframes. I actually liked it as a DB.

This Oracle stuff is way better though.

I never did get my records catalogued, by the time I'd loaded the database software there was no bleeding memory left to store more than about 5 rows. Ah well, I was young and stupid in those days.

Cheers,
Norm.

Norman Dunbar
Database/Unix administrator