Re: variable column table

From: Paul Brewer <paul_at_paul.brewers.org.uk>
Date: Wed, 28 May 2003 21:33:00 +0100

"Billy Verreynne" <vslabs_at_onwe.co.za> wrote in message news:bb1no3$r41$1_at_ctb-nnrp2.saix.net...
> Paul Brewer wrote:
>
> > But you're getting into 4th and 5th normal form. Design becomes
> > aesthetically perfect, but real world performance goes down the
plughole.
> > IMHO it's good for 'user extensions to the application', but one needs
> > be careful.
>
> Agree. And that's what I'm looking for. Where to draw the line and how to
> tackle such a an implementation in Oracle - if at all.
>
> So moving away from the relational design and all that - focussing solely
on
> the db toolbox called Oracle. What magic can we pull from there?
>
> We have partitioning, clusters, nested tables, objects etc. etc. - is
there
> any innovative way to address this type of db model in Oracle.

Billy,

No magic really, I'm afraid. Sad to report that in my (admittedly limited) experience, one of three things always happens in the end:

  1. Queries end up with hard coded values - which defeats the object.
  2. It's all run procedurally - and performance suffers accordingly.
  3. We have technically correct SQL, but it never finishes.

Regards,
Paul Received on Wed May 28 2003 - 15:33:00 CDT