NLS

From: Hans v. Hugo <v.hugo_at_gmx.de>
Date: 28 May 2003 08:18:15 -0700

I have a "little" problem with charsets: actually my server runs with american NLS-settings. That means in practise, that NLS properties in the enterprise manager are set to american (nls_language='AMERICAN', nls_teritory="america") and the view nls_database_parameters shows american settings too. (nls_language='AMERICAN', nls_teritory="america", NLS_CHARACTERSET="WE8ISO8859P1"). If I write the euro currency sign (€) to the database it saves it as an upside down question mark.
this efect is caused by the orracle nls-settings. ( ... or is there something else?) So far, so good, but how can I change that settings in a correct way.
I tried to chage the values in the enterprise manager, but that did not work: the server showed me an ora-02096 and telling me, that the use of dynamic parameters wasn't successful. I changed the entries in the database via with :

UPDATE PROPS$ SET VALUE='GERMANY' WHERE NAME='NLS_TERRITORY';
UPDATE PROPS$ SET VALUE='GERMAN' WHERE NAME='NLS_LANGUAGE';
UPDATE PROPS$ SET VALUE='GERMAN' WHERE NAME='NLS_ISO_CURRENCY';
UPDATE PROPS$ SET VALUE='GERMAN' WHERE NAME='NLS_DATE_LANGUAGE';
UPDATE PROPS$ SET VALUE='WE8ISO8859P15' WHERE
NAME='NLS_CHARACATERSET'; and it works, but that seems to me a very brutal way and the properties in the enterprise manager stayed "american" as they where before.

There must be another way to change that setting - but how ?

Any hint would be nice.

tia,

Hans

Btw.: Im running oracle 9.2 win with 2000/xp. Received on Wed May 28 2003 - 10:18:15 CDT