Re: Oh, this is so microsoftish ...

From: Nuno Souto <wizofoz2k_at_yahoo.com.au>
Date: 28 May 2003 05:49:16 -0700

joel-garry_at_home.com (Joel Garry) wrote in message news:<91884734.0305271408.3ad9ea06_at_posting.google.com>...

> of the chaff directed to an answer. I'm sure middle level management
> gets oodles of reports showing what percentage of calls get answered
> at what level, and I would guess someone's bonus depends on the
> results.

I'll bet someone's kickback from the "outsourcing" mob also depends on the results. Yes, that's how it works: I was "offered" a few when I was doing consultancy on my own and placing people.

> situations. We have every right to demand good service. In the past,
> whatever support system was enabled would eventually get overloaded as
> people learned to "work the system," then an arbitrary change would be
> made to deal with it. wrt bugs, the development team obviously would

Well, funny that: the initial purpose and intention of metaclick was exactly to act as a front-end for all those crazy questions. People would have access to basic NG functionality and lots of papers of various colours and hopefully only "real" bugs would hit the support folks.

It worked fine. Then someone started to "promote" all these overseas "support" centres. Suddenly, Metaclick wasn't enough and all support had to be "moved" overseas. The whole thing stinks.

> I would hope some developers would lurk in places like this, but that
> may be too much to ask given the volume of posts that a developer
> wouldn't be interested in. Maybe there should be a secret cabal of
> developers and beta testers - maybe there is, in the sense of
> developers meeting in the halls.

I think they have a mailing list of some sort. One thing: Oracle developers are notoriously unavailable to other sections of the company. I worked in other US companies and NONE had such a paranoid policy about developers as Oracle does. Dunno why. Snippets ocasionally show up.

> Oracle, don't do this:
> http://www.signonsandiego.com/news/computing/personaltech/20030526-9999_mz1b26snmicr.html

Actually, I kinda like that. I spend 3 completely unproductive hours/day fighting traffic jams and parking attendants and/or waiting for public transport. I'd much rather do my work from home with a broadband VPN travelling to the office. Stuff the office banter, most of it is just up-and-coming twits or "dad's-boys" pushing their silly point of view on everybody else. Meet once a month and that's plenty enough for me!

Unfortunately I work in one of those old-fashioned, patronizing places that treasures bums-on-seats. It's a no-no. They'll learn, once office space becomes so expensive no one will be able to afford it.

One day some Harvard bean counter will figure out that TCO can be reduced DRAMATICALLY by throwing away the white collar office and all its paraphernalia and using someone else's home for free. THEN, we'll see some dramatic improvements on pollution caused by transport. ;)

Cheers
Nuno Souto
wizofoz2k_at_yahoo.com.au.nospam Received on Wed May 28 2003 - 07:49:16 CDT