activating standby database questions

From: Carsten Grammes <cgrammes_at_gmx.net>
Date: Wed, 28 May 2003 11:46:53 GMT

Hello world,

some questions regarding standby databases on Oracle 9.0.1 (W2K / NT).

When Oracle starts up, where from does it know whether to start up normally or to mount the standby database and go to automatic recover. I suppose it is
a) presence of standby controlfile instead of normal one b) presence of standby_archive_dest entry in init.ora. Any other?

I have a strange behaviour with a database that was previously activated from standby. After activation upon reboot it came up again into standby mode and issued strange error messages:

ORACLE V9.0.1.1.1 - Production vsnsta=0
vsnsql=10 vsnxtr=3
Windows NT Version 4.0 Service Pack 6, CPU type 586 Starting up ORACLE RDBMS Version: 9.0.1.1.1. System parameters with non-default values:

  processes                = 150
  timed_statistics         = TRUE
  shared_pool_size         = 46137344
  large_pool_size          = 1048576
  java_pool_size           = 33554432
  control_files            = E:\oracle\oradata\P902\CONTROL01.CTL,
E:\oracle\oradata\P902\CONTROL02.CTL,
E:\oracle\oradata\P902\CONTROL03.CTL
  db_block_size            = 4096
  db_cache_size            = 33554432
  compatible               = 9.0.0
  log_archive_start        = TRUE
  log_archive_dest_1       = LOCATION=e:\oracle\archive
  log_archive_format       = P902_%S.arc
  fast_start_mttr_target   = 300
  undo_management          = AUTO
  undo_tablespace          = UNDOTBS
  remote_login_passwordfile= EXCLUSIVE
  db_domain                = xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
  global_names             = TRUE
  instance_name            = P902
  dispatchers              = (PROTOCOL=TCP)(SER=MODOSE),
(PROTOCOL=TCP)(PRE=oracle.aurora.server.GiopServer), (PROTOCOL=TCP)(PRE=oracle.aurora.server.SGiopServer)
  job_queue_processes      = 5
  background_dump_dest     = E:\oracle\admin\P902\bdump
  user_dump_dest           = E:\oracle\admin\P902\udump
  core_dump_dest           = E:\oracle\admin\P902\cdump
  sort_area_size           = 524288
  db_name                  = P902
  open_cursors             = 300
  ifile                    = E:\oracle\admin\P902\pfile\init.ora
PMON started with pid=2
DBW0 started with pid=3
LGWR started with pid=4
CKPT started with pid=5
SMON started with pid=6

RECO started with pid=7
CJQ0 started with pid=8
Fri May 23 12:53:48 2003
starting up 1 shared server(s) ...
starting up 1 dispatcher(s) for network address
'(ADDRESS=(PARTIAL=YES)(PROTOCOL=TCP))'...
starting up 1 dispatcher(s) for network address
'(ADDRESS=(PARTIAL=YES)(PROTOCOL=TCP))'...
starting up 1 dispatcher(s) for network address
'(ADDRESS=(PARTIAL=YES)(PROTOCOL=TCP))'...
ARCH: STARTING ARCH PROCESSES
ARC0 started with pid=13
Fri May 23 12:53:50 2003
ARCH: STARTING ARCH PROCESSES COMPLETE
Fri May 23 12:53:51 2003
ARC0: Archival started
ARC0: Thread not mounted
Fri May 23 12:53:51 2003
alter database mount standby database
Fri May 23 12:53:57 2003
ORA-1665 signalled during: alter database mount standby database... Fri May 23 12:53:57 2003
alter database recover managed standby database disconnect ORA-1507 signalled during: alter database recover managed standby database di...
Fri May 23 12:55:48 2003
Starting ORACLE instance (normal)
Fri May 23 12:55:58 2003
destination database instance is 'started' not 'mounted'
destination database instance is 'started' not 'mounted'
destination database instance is 'started' not 'mounted'
destination database instance is 'started' not 'mounted'
destination database instance is 'started' not 'mounted'
destination database instance is 'started' not 'mounted'
destination database instance is 'started' not 'mounted'
destination database instance is 'started' not 'mounted'
destination database instance is 'started' not 'mounted'

I have no idea why this happens as the machine did boot severyl times before that and the (previously) activated standby database came up normally.

Thanks,
Carsten

---
I want to die peacefully in sleep like my grandfather.
Not screaming in terror like his passengers!