Re: variable column table

From: Billy Verreynne <vslabs_at_onwe.co.za>
Date: Wed, 28 May 2003 09:20:40 +0000

Jan Gelbrich wrote:

> But, IMHO, this is perfect **CRAP** . It has no normal form at all.
> Then You will end up with **multiple** references to the field_names, much
> hard-coded SQL & PL/SQL,
> very error_prone, and fk constraints becoming "virtual", as it bcomes
> fuzzy.

Yes and no. It depends on what you design the model for. So before ranting too much, I suggest you look at the basic problem first. I have an easy example.

Take a Windows INI file (or take multiple /etc/*conf files in Unix). It has multiple sections (or filenames in Unix). Each section/file has name-value pairs. Now design a db model for it.

I will be very interested to see how you solve this ito a logical db design.

--
Billy