Re: Transaction Gradually Slows to a crawl! (please help)

From: Burt Peltier <burttemp1REMOVE_THIS_at_bellsouth.net>
Date: Tue, 27 May 2003 19:31:09 -0500

I think you will need to provide more info before anyone can really help.. just a few quick questions I can think of :

Look for machine bottlenecks like CPU's pegged out, memory maxed out, disk's I/O real high , or unsual network activity. Some of these assume you have looked at this in the past and have a vague idea of what's normal looking (especially network activity and disk I/O).

Are there other users logged in, other databases on same machine?, or any other things going on on the same machine?

What does your init.ora look like?

What does your temporary tablespace and rollback setup/usage look like?

When you update, are you increasing the size of the rows a lot? Seems you could be having a lot of row-chaining.

Are you updating indexed values?

Etc...