Re: read data from Excel Spreadsheet to Oracle Database

From: Rauf Sarwar <rs_arwar_at_hotmail.com>
Date: 27 May 2003 15:39:37 -0700

mmontreaux_at_hotmail.com (Monty) wrote in message news:<6284dd3.0305270840.52a8b7cf_at_posting.google.com>...
> Hi, I need to import information from a MS Excel spreadsheet into an
> Oracle database table. This isn't a one-off implementation but an
> ongoing thing. The Excel files have the extension .xls (not .csv which
> would have been trivial).
>
> Somewhere I have heard of something called ExcelORD but Google only
> shows up 2 hits (in Japanese so I can't make anything out), and the
> Oracle website none.
>
> Any pointers?
>
> Thank you
> Monty

Oracle has got nothing to do with it. Handle it on client side. Either write a macro to do it, OR save file in .csv and use sqlloader, OR open Excel automation object from your client and read data row by row. There are plenty of code examples to invoke and do stuff with Excel Automation at microsoft.public.excel. If your client is written in VB... then it is pretty trivial.

Regards
/Rauf Sarwar Received on Tue May 27 2003 - 17:39:37 CDT