Re: Oh, this is so microsoftish ...

From: Joel Garry <joel-garry_at_home.com>
Date: 27 May 2003 15:08:11 -0700

"Noons" <wizofoz2k_at_yahoo.com.au.nospam> wrote in message news:<3ed1e015$4$16256$afc38c87_at_news.optusnet.com.au>...
> "Dusan Bolek" <pagesflames_at_usa.net> wrote in message
>
> > We will need Oracle 10i experts very soon. From bug document of my
> > iTAR:
> >
> > *** 05/21/03 08:29 am *** (CHG: Sta-&gt;16) *** 05/21/03 09:33 am ***
> > (CHG: Asg-&gt;NEW OWNER) *** 05/22/03 07:43 am *** sh repro.sh
> > reproduce the error using Oracle10i Enterprise Edition Release
> > 10.1.0.0.0 <-- look here!
>
> LOL! Yowser!!!!!! Well spotted!
>
> Yup, looks like the adds requesting people
> with 5 years experience of 10i are gonna start
> soon. I fully expect Oracle Apps 10i "DBAs" to
> apply! In droves...
> ;)

While of course I LOL'd at this, it strikes me that Oracle wants this to happen, that's why they've version renumbered everything the way they have.

We must remember there are a number of tasks that support, uh, supports; Defining and proving bugs is just one of them. With the very experienced perspective many of us here have, it is easy to forget the other tasks. I'm sure the overwhelming call volume for support does _not_ include many new production bugs, even if the development/release cycle makes it seem that way. So it makes sense for them to use monkeys, er, expert call support systems to get most of the chaff directed to an answer. I'm sure middle level management gets oodles of reports showing what percentage of calls get answered at what level, and I would guess someone's bonus depends on the results.

So the answer to the OP complaint is twofold: learn how use support to quickly get to someone who can help, and let support know how they can improve their policies and procedures to address serious situations. We have every right to demand good service. In the past, whatever support system was enabled would eventually get overloaded as people learned to "work the system," then an arbitrary change would be made to deal with it. wrt bugs, the development team obviously would be overwhelmed if they didn't have support to run interference for them. This necessarily means there is a hole in the process, any bug that is not easily reproducible may not get fixed in a timely manner. I would hope some developers would lurk in places like this, but that may be too much to ask given the volume of posts that a developer wouldn't be interested in. Maybe there should be a secret cabal of developers and beta testers - maybe there is, in the sense of developers meeting in the halls.

Oracle, don't do this:
http://www.signonsandiego.com/news/computing/personaltech/20030526-9999_mz1b26snmicr.html

jg

--
@home.com is bogus.  As much as we would like to view usenet as a pub
or other place where we can communicate, it just isn't meatworld.