Actual Buffer Pool size

From: Linda Lee <goforticket_at_yahoo.com>
Date: 27 May 2003 14:41:39 -0700

On my 8.1.7 database on Windows 2000, I used following parameters to set up buffer pools:
db_block_lru_latches = 8
db_block_buffers = 210000
buffer_pool_keep = (50000,2)
buffer_pool_recycle = (30000,2)
1.
But when I query V$BUFFER_POOL, the number of latches for KEEP and RECYCLE is 1. Why they take only one (instead of 2)? Is there a better way to get the numbers of latches?
SQL> select name, set_count "latches", buffers   2 from v$buffer_pool
  3 where id != 0;

NAME                    latches    BUFFERS
-------------------- ---------- ----------
KEEP                          1      50000
RECYCLE                       1      30000
DEFAULT                       6     130000

2.
I query dba_segments to get the actual sizes of pools. Is there a beeter way to get the actuall/real size of each pool? Why the size of DEFAULT pool is much larger than what I allocated by init parameters? Do I need to increase the size for DEFAULT pool? SQL> select sum(blocks) Blocks, sum(bytes)/1024 KBytes, buffer_pool   2 from dba_segments
  3 group by buffer_pool;

     BLOCKS KBYTES BUFFER_

    4303299 34426392 DEFAULT

      20085     160680 KEEP
      23697     189576 RECYCLE

Thanks a lot. Received on Tue May 27 2003 - 16:41:39 CDT