Re: How do you grant connection permission to a user?

From: Daniel Morgan <damorgan_at_exxesolutions.com>
Date: Tue, 27 May 2003 10:46:38 -0700

Richard Foote wrote:

> "Daniel Morgan" <damorgan_at_exxesolutions.com> wrote in message
>
> > > Are you saying the connect role has to be dropped? How about backward
> > > compatibility? I have many users with that role..
> >
> > I wouldn't say "HAS TO BE" dropped anymore than I would say
> > "change_on_install" HAS TO BE" changed.
> > But I'd say and DBA that doesn't should be escorted to the door and given
> an
> > invitation to the unemployement
> > queue. Same thing goes for not dropping CONNECT and RESOURCE.
> >
> > Backward compatibility is irrelevant as the problem privileges contained
> in
> > CONNECT and RESOURCE are
> > almost always never used legitimately. New roles should be created that
> > contain the privileges required:
> > And nothing more.
> > --
>
> Hi Daniel et all,
>
> I agree with the latter sentiments that one shouldn't be using these
> pre-created roles.
>
> However, in defence of any newbies that do use them (and I see them used
> *all* the time), it's kinda easy to understand why they do get used so often
> when Oracle themselves use them constantly.
>
> A recent example.
>
> I'm currently using Oracle Streams (which is quite nifty incidentally when
> it decides to work) and I thought I'll use OEM to generate some sample
> scripts. Guess what OEM grants the user it creates to administer Streams,
> that's right, Connect, Resource, etc .....
>
> So while Oracle uses them, what chance do newbies have ? If you drop the
> roles, OEM would fail dismally. Actually, OEM fails dismally anyway as the
> scripts were pretty awful and needed much manual changes anyway, but you get
> my point.
>
> Cheers
>
> Richard

With respect to newbies I agree. But I'm not sure that the newbies are not DBAs. I have worked with DBAs with more than a decade of experience that couldn't answer the question correctly and still assign CONNECT and RESOURCE.

Their databases reflect it and many of them I could crack in less than five minutes due to this and other egregious sins of omission. It is amazing how 'unimpressed' a CIO can be when you walk into his office and can get into one of his HR databases without a password.

--
Daniel Morgan
damorgan_at_x.washington.edu