Re: Oracle 9i Limitation (Bug?) in Identifying Key Preserved Tables in Views

From: Dan Berkery <danberkery_at_yahoo.com>
Date: 27 May 2003 10:13:49 -0700

Sybrand Bakker <gooiditweg_at_sybrandb.demon.nl> wrote in message news:<ofq5dvoc5kov7b64k1jh01r6alod25hs2v_at_4ax.com>...
> On 26 May 2003 18:33:09 -0700, danberkery_at_yahoo.com (Dan Berkery)
> wrote:
>
> >I should (and will do that), but past experience suggests the dialog
> >on this newsgroup far exceeds the quality of the dialog with Oracle
> >support. I post back if Oracle support comes back with anything.
>

> I don't think this newsgroup is and should ever function as a
> replacement for Oracle Support. This group has no obligation and no
> responsibility to address issues, and there is no guarantee you get
> the 100 percent perfect answer, nor can the newsgroup assume any
> liability if the advice doesn't work and/or make things worse.
> Though I know their might be dissatisfaction with Oracle Support, they
> only way to do something about that is address your concerns with
> Oracle, instead of addressing them in this group and/or using this
> group as a replacement for Support.

You're point is well taken and I am in the process of doing the TAR dance with Oracle. I will post any results received. I suspect my dialog with support about how it works now and whether or not it Oracle has the time or inclination to improve it (assuming there is indeed a gap here).

My hope for the newsgroup discussion was a dialog about whether it works as it ought to and whether it would make sense to change it. IMO the key preserved view stuff that Oracle has added is pretty useful in certain situations and I was hoping to get some insight from the group (Dave's response below pointed out another--embarassingly simple--way to construct the query that I missed in my key preserved view obsession) that would enhance my understanding of how it works (and how it could work).

My apologies if I have abused the hospitality of this group. I am conscious of and grateful for the frequent, insightful postings made by you and some other key contributors to the group and hope to be respectful of your time.

> Sybrand Bakker, Senior Oracle DBA

Thanks,
Dan Received on Tue May 27 2003 - 12:13:49 CDT