Re: How do you grant connection permission to a user?

From: Richard Foote <richard.foote_at_bigpond.com>
Date: Tue, 27 May 2003 22:59:16 +1000

"Daniel Morgan" <damorgan_at_exxesolutions.com> wrote in message news:3ED2AC81.908B577E_at_exxesolutions.com...

> > Are you saying the connect role has to be dropped? How about backward
> > compatibility? I have many users with that role..
>
> I wouldn't say "HAS TO BE" dropped anymore than I would say
> "change_on_install" HAS TO BE" changed.
> But I'd say and DBA that doesn't should be escorted to the door and given
an
> invitation to the unemployement
> queue. Same thing goes for not dropping CONNECT and RESOURCE.
>
> Backward compatibility is irrelevant as the problem privileges contained
in
> CONNECT and RESOURCE are
> almost always never used legitimately. New roles should be created that
> contain the privileges required:
> And nothing more.
> --

Hi Daniel et all,

I agree with the latter sentiments that one shouldn't be using these pre-created roles.

However, in defence of any newbies that do use them (and I see them used *all* the time), it's kinda easy to understand why they do get used so often when Oracle themselves use them constantly.

A recent example.

I'm currently using Oracle Streams (which is quite nifty incidentally when it decides to work) and I thought I'll use OEM to generate some sample scripts. Guess what OEM grants the user it creates to administer Streams, that's right, Connect, Resource, etc .....

So while Oracle uses them, what chance do newbies have ? If you drop the roles, OEM would fail dismally. Actually, OEM fails dismally anyway as the scripts were pretty awful and needed much manual changes anyway, but you get my point.

Cheers

Richard Received on Tue May 27 2003 - 07:59:16 CDT