Re: OT:Re: Oh, this is so microsoftish ...

From: Noons <wizofoz2k_at_yahoo.com.au.nospam>
Date: Tue, 27 May 2003 19:56:19 +1000

"Tim X" <timx_at_spamto.devnul.com> wrote in message news:87llwsn31z.fsf_at_tiger.rapttech.com.au...

> to standards of living, environmental and human costs. Although I
> can't see it happening, it would be nice if other issues apart from
> share prices and company profit were taken into consideration just a
> little bit and there was some measure of long term management success,
> not just short term.

Well, this is just like the old Japanese commerce thing, when they could undercut everyone but no one could market anything in their home turf.

Thing is: I don't give two hoots if half of Indonesia or India comes to Australia (within capacity limits, of course!) and competes with our IT people, here and under our rules and constraints. Not a problem at all. In fact they are most welcome: the more the merrier.

I do however have a problem when we have to compete here against THEIR banana-salaries over there. What that achieves is to lower the standard of living of Australia to the standard of living of any of those countries. For ALL of the Australian population. Not just IT.

And I'll bet you anything you want if I try to set up a company in ANY of those countries to compete locally against their IT people, I simply won't be allowed to do it. Or they'll tax me out of existence.

That is NOT a level playing field: that is a breeding ground for modern slavery.

The funny thing is that the original author of such "ideals" was, ironically, a Labour PM. Who supposedly was there to "protect" workers: Paul Keating. Then again, he had so many commercial interests in Indonesia I'm surprised he didn't do more...

> Enough off-topic for me today! Thanks for the indulgence.

Same here. This is too depressing to stay on for too long.

--
Cheers
Nuno Souto