Which one is better 1 connection lots of open cursors - more conn ections less open cursors

From: Norman Dunbar <Norman.Dunbar_at_lfs.co.uk>
Date: Tue, 27 May 2003 08:17:50 +0100

Morning Sybrand,

>> At least that's their marketing. Quite likely it uses hardcoded
>> literals everywhere etc.

actually, and as much as I absolutely loath and detest Uniface, the reality is, it works !

Our developers develop on PCs running NT4 or Win2K, the source lives in Oracle on an HP K420 - where we can also build forms. The application runs on Windows, Unix (HP, AIX, RS6000, DEC Alphs ....), plus Open VMS boxes. It talks to Oracle and MSSQL databases - at least those are the ones our customers use - and it all 'just works'. All we have to do is change the driver to match the database and change the mode to be GUI or character as required and off we go.

There are no hard coded literals anywhere - none in Uniface and none in our application because all text messages are stored in the source and compiled into a thing called the UOBJ, as are menus, menu bars, globals procedures etc etc.

I hate it, but it does what it says on the tin !

Cheers,
Norman.
(Back again !)

Norman Dunbar