Re: Oracle 7.2 on Solaris 8 - Will it work???

From: Daniel Morgan <damorgan_at_exxesolutions.com>
Date: Mon, 26 May 2003 11:51:38 -0700

Telemachus wrote:

> I was going to say what Daniel said, but on balance
> you are probably disturbing a stable system.
> Chaos normally ensues.
> "Daniel Morgan" <damorgan_at_exxesolutions.com> wrote in message
> > Andy S wrote:
> >
> > > Hi All,
> > >
> > > need to urgently replace servers without upgrading Oracle 7.2. Will this
> > > version work on Solaris 8 or 9?
> > > Has anyone done this ??
> > >
> > > TIA
> > > Andy

> News==----
> > > http://www.newsfeed.com The #1 Newsgroup Service in the World! >100,000
> Newsgroups
> > > ---= 19 East/West-Coast Specialized Servers - Total Privacy via
> Encryption =---
> >
> > Don't know. And I can't think of any reason I'd want to know. If it runs,
> and I
> > emphasize "if" it would be untested and unsuported. But then I guess that
> doesn't
> > bother your employer as with 7.2 you have a version of Oracle almost as
> old as you are
> > and they've been running unsupported for a decade or more.
> >
> > My advice would be to upgrade from 7.2 to, at a minimum, 8.1.7.4 if for no
> other
> > reason than the fact that your current resume is about as likely to get
> you a new job
> > as resume with experience in ALGOL and RPG II.
> >
> > If your firm is content to stay with a paleolithic database they should
> feel equally
> > comfortable staying with a neolithic operating system. I'd stay away from
> any changes.
> >
> > --
> > Daniel Morgan
> > http://www.outreach.washington.edu/extinfo/certprog/oad/oad_crs.asp
> > damorgan_at_x.washington.edu
> > (replace 'x' with a 'u' to reply)

Somewhere out there some company must exist with Oracle 9.2 and the init.ora setting

COMPATIBLE=6.0 or worse?

I know what the CFO's of these companies are thinking. But I can't comprehend the employee that would sit their watching their resume' grow stale and near worthless. I got out of COBOL when I saw the window closing and have never regreted the decision. I can't imagine anyone working with Oracle 7.x thinking they are employable if they ever lose their current job. Well I mean doing something more interesting than flipping burgers.

Just for pure financial survival I'd walk.

--
Daniel Morgan