Re: Oracle 7.2 on Solaris 8 - Will it work???

From: Daniel Morgan <damorgan_at_exxesolutions.com>
Date: Mon, 26 May 2003 08:21:41 -0700

Andy S wrote:

> Hi All,
>
> need to urgently replace servers without upgrading Oracle 7.2. Will this
> version work on Solaris 8 or 9?
> Has anyone done this ??
>
> TIA
> Andy

> http://www.newsfeed.com The #1 Newsgroup Service in the World! >100,000 Newsgroups
> ---= 19 East/West-Coast Specialized Servers - Total Privacy via Encryption =---

Don't know. And I can't think of any reason I'd want to know. If it runs, and I emphasize "if" it would be untested and unsuported. But then I guess that doesn't bother your employer as with 7.2 you have a version of Oracle almost as old as you are and they've been running unsupported for a decade or more.

My advice would be to upgrade from 7.2 to, at a minimum, 8.1.7.4 if for no other reason than the fact that your current resume is about as likely to get you a new job as resume with experience in ALGOL and RPG II.

If your firm is content to stay with a paleolithic database they should feel equally comfortable staying with a neolithic operating system. I'd stay away from any changes.

--
Daniel Morgan
damorgan_at_x.washington.edu