Re: how can i know the TNSNAME.ORA file used by Toad or another application

From: Hans Forbrich <forbrich_at_telusplanet.net>
Date: Mon, 26 May 2003 15:01:44 GMT

windymimich wrote:

> I use a winnt system, and i 'd like to know how can i find which
> TNSNAME.ORA file ( because i have many oracle SQL*NET client
> installed) my oracle client like Toad uses?
> I've seen variable like ORACLE_HOME or ORACLE_HOME_NAME in the
> registry in many registry instance.
> How can i give focus(pointer) to a choised ORACLE_ENVIRONMENT?
> thx

Unless you use an environment vasriable to explicitly tell the system which TNSNAMES path you want, the TNSNAMES.ora is the one in the $ORACLE_HOME/network/admin directory. That one corresponds to the $ORACLE_HOME/bin which is being used to run the appropriate Oracle supplied software.

If you have multiple Oracle Homes, you either have an environment variable set up to determine the preferred $ORACLE_HOME.

Also you can read the "Net8 Admin" manual to determine the variable name for the TNS Admin path - I don't have it at the top of my head.

If you have a third party app, such as TOAD, it has rules to pick the Home it wants ... in which case the app's documentation (and not Oracle) should provide the answer. Many of these tools will chose the first ORACLE_HOME in the registry by default.

BTW - please don't use the registry editor to modify the ORACLE_HOME environment variable in the registry. (Or if you do, please don't whine to us later if/when you break things.) The appropriate place - as described in the documentation - is the Control Panel, under System configuration. Received on Mon May 26 2003 - 10:01:44 CDT