Re: Public Synonyms

From: Martin Doering <doeringm_at_gmx.de>
Date: Mon, 26 May 2003 12:22:59 +0200

On Mon, 26 May 2003 19:31:31 +1000, "Noons" <wizofoz2k_at_yahoo.com.au.nospam> wrote:

>Create an "access user" for each schema/application.
>This is just a normal Oracle User but with just connect
>and create any synonym rights.
>
>Grant access to tables on the original schema owners to
>these "access users" as needed. Then create the range
>of synonyms you need for each application within each
>of these users, as private synonyms.

Ah, yes, ok. You take users as encapsulation for this. In some places we still have this. Especially, where we really just use "technical" users this may be ok.

>BTW, these private synonyms won't suffer as much from the
>performance degradation that public synonyms cause.

Oops, this is totally new fro me, that synonyms have an influence on the performance... Are you shure? Where can I read about it? You don't mean views, are you?

--
Martin