Re: URGENT Can you convert SQL Stored Proceedures to Oracle?

From: Daniel Morgan <damorgan_at_exxesolutions.com>
Date: Sun, 25 May 2003 21:09:02 -0700

Mladen Gogala wrote:

> On Sun, 25 May 2003 15:18:35 -0700, Daniel Morgan wrote:
>
> > Advice to Mladen, Galen, and others. Get a copy of Tom Kyte's book "Expert
> > one-on-one Oracle." Tom provides ample examples of the disaster that can
> > await those that migrate from SQL Server to Oracle, and visa versa, without
> > a proper understanding of the architectural differences.
>
> I have the book. I don't know which chapter do you have in mind, but I've
> successfully used the product on more then one occasion withou any doom &
> gloom events. I use Tom Kyte as a reference for things like "utl_http" and
> alike. Of course, if one doesn't know how to use computer and doesn't
> understand what he's doing, he is likely to do some damage. Nothing new
> under the sun. I do trust my own practical experience much more then I
> trust books. Thanks for a good advice but that wasn't what I expected.
> Do you have any practical examples of corruption or not?
>
> --
> Mladen Gogala
> Software is like sex, it is better when it is free.
> Linus Torvalds

Congratulations to both of you.

Not once did I say you couldn't or shouldn't migrate of SQL Server to Oracle. I've managed many projects doing just that. Nor did I say don't use the migration tool Oracle provides ... I've used it too though the quality of code is produces is ... well as good as can be expected.

What I said was that unless you understand the architectural and concept differences you can create a disaster and referred you to Tom's book. Here is my exact quote:

> "Tom provides ample examples of the disaster that
> can await those that migrate from SQL Server to Oracle,
> and visa versa, without a proper understanding of the
> architectural differences."

Since both of you have a copy of his book and enough attitude to right a sailboat in a hurricane I'll just quote the last two sentences from Chaper 3, Page 133:

"Unless you know how it works, you will write programs that corrupt data. It is that simple."

Those are Tom's words, and, quite frankly, I have a lot more confidence in Tom's book than
I do in your practical experience. But then that's just me.

--
Daniel Morgan
damorgan_at_x.washington.edu