Error installing Oracle9.2EE on SuSE linux 8.1 :ORA-27123 unable to attach to shared memory segment

From: Monty <mmontreaux_at_hotmail.com>
Date: 25 May 2003 10:38:54 -0700

Hi All , I have attempted to install Oracle 9.2 EE on SuSE linux 8.1 but am having a few problems - in particular "ORA-27123 unable to attach to shared memory segment". Reading the online installation guide afterwards :( I find I must (this copied in abbreviated form from installation guide)

  1. Log in as root user
  2. cd /proc/sys/kernel
  3. cat sem (the values I get on my machine are 250 256000 32 1024)
  4. echo 250 256000 100 1024 > sem (the 100 is a MINIMUM value specified in the docs)
  5. cat shmmax (my machine comes back 33554432)
  6. cat shmmin (my machine comes back 4096) + other things

According to the manual the MINIMUM value for shmmax (ie setting with echo xxxx > shmmax) is 2147483648.

So above, in step 5, I must perform a "echo 2147483648 > shmmax" yes?

When I do, and then type cat shmmax, it comes back 2147483648.

Now, and this is the bit that gets me, the Oracle docs are absolutely great with this step-by-step idiots guide on how to set Oracle up except for one thing. Once you have gone through this process it says verbatim "Write a script to initialize these values during system startup, and include the script in your system init files prior to rebooting"

What, where, when,how !!:@:"££

Okay, I'm very new to Linux (other than a long day attempting an install without the manuals, 1.5 hours, and then reading the manuals, 5 hours), so would really appreciate a pointer or two from you gurus. But rather than just saying I don't know how to do it, and giving up praying that someone will take pity on me and help me out, I would like to say I have tried. And here's one of the things I have tried. It's only a guess but I think I have to write a file and pop it in /etc/init.d/ but what do I call the file and how do I make sure it is run and what do I put in it. What I have done, which doesn't work, is copy one of the existing startup files in /etc/init.d/, renamed it to montysStartupForOracle, and put the following as its contents.

cd /proc/sys/kernel
echo 250 256000 32 1024 > sem
echo 2147483648 > shmmax
echo 4096 > shmmni
echo 2097152 > shmall

Then, according to the Oracle docs, before you install 9i you must reboot. I reboot. But, to check everything has worked prior to attempting the 9i installation, when I logon to root again and repeat step 5 above, it comes back with 33554432 and not 2147483648.

I know the problem resolution must be simple but being a novice here, I'm stumped.

Ideas anyone, how do I get shmmax set to 2147483648 each time my computer boots?

Thank you

Monty Received on Sun May 25 2003 - 12:38:54 CDT