Re: Oh, this is so microsoftish ...

From: Noons <wizofoz2k_at_yahoo.com.au.nospam>
Date: Sun, 25 May 2003 16:41:56 +1000

"Howard J. Rogers" <howardjr2000_at_yahoo.com.au> wrote in message news:4DWza.42173$1s1.580479_at_newsfeeds.bigpond.com...

> Apparently, it was because our old webmail email address had been flipped
> over to the new all-singing, all-broadcasting collaboration suite web-based
> email. So that's all right then.

LOL! Oh no!...

> one. (I would have requested a different person the first time, but I didn't
> like to make the lady involved feel embarrassed in any way).

Actually, the arseholes who came up with these you beaut "international" support agencies rely on EXACTLY and PRECISELY this attitude. It's by using our inherent reluctance to sound rude that this sort of thing is allowed to continue.

> But I really don't believe that support from India is intrinsically any more
> likely to be worse than support from Wooloomooloo - or Redmond, come to
> that. And I have a sneaking suspicion that those who say the nation makes
> the difference are actually just racists at heart anyway.

Agreed. But fact is: since support went "overseas", we now not only have to cope with sub-standard support but we ALSO have to cope with people that can hardly understand the language we're speaking.

Call me a racist, but I spent 25 years of my life learning both English and my professional subject to a sufficient standard that no one can say I'm hard to understand. Despite the fact my native language is completely different and my native country is not noted for its technological ability.

And I DEMAND that Oracle and their support agencies do no less. Particularly when I'm the one paying.

> All power to them, I say. Some of my nicest students are from India. And,
> for different reasons, I have a soft-spot for Bangalore anyway.

For me it's Goa. And Madras, but that's more because my Indian great and very old friend Noel Vanspaal makes some of the best Madras curry I've ever tasted. Mind you, it's a sizzler... I truly regret that I only see him now occasionally. We shared some superb times in Canberra, many moons ago. ;)

--
Cheers
Nuno Souto